Wednesday, July 14, 2010

june 22

Through Les Cambes across patchwork countryside to Malaunay. Malaunay is a small "commune". This word has puzzled me since I began this project so I decided to look it up. A commune is the lowest level of administrative division in the French Republic. French communes are roughly equivalent to incorporated municipalities or cities in the USA or Gemeinden in Germany. French communes have a status somewhere in between that of English districts and civil parishes. A French commune can be a city of 2 million inhabitants as in Paris; a town of 10,000 people - or just a 10 person hamlet. Not only am I getting in shape, I'm learning something! That deserves a celebratory verre du vin. Or a pastry...
distance today: 6 km
distance to date: 278 km

No comments:

Post a Comment