Friday, February 12, 2010

feb 11 - Bagatelle


i left the outskirts of Stella Plage and was back on the D940 - or Rue D'Etaples. At 3km into the run I reached Merlimont and had to make a decision, to detour to see la plage de Merlimont or to continue? I opted to continue on. The beach of Merlimont (and town) is only 2.1 km south of Stella, seriously, 2 km!!! One day this will probably be just a continuous sprawl but for now there is actual green space between 2 towns that are 2 km apart. And although they are 2 separate towns, i thought, how much different can they be? This coast is beginning to feel a bit of a manufactured tourist industry. So I ran on through Le Bout d'Airon and ended up beside... (are you ready?) an amusement park! Truly! Here's the "town" of Bagatelle, which is basically a suburb for those who work at the park.

I did however learn some words:

bateau pirate: pirate ship (hey, as my alter ego Sailorgirl I already knew this one!)
chenille: this actually translates as caterpillar but it's a roller coaster, maybe there's a better word?
le parc: the park, ok, i knew this one too from high school french but now it's firmly in my vocabulary
distance today: 6.2 km
distance to date: 90.8 km

No comments:

Post a Comment